ArchivesTag : Depression
According to researchers at UCLA, the psychological effects of loneliness increases activity of inflammatory genes, which promotes a variety of conditions, such as an increased risk of heart disease, depression and in extreme cases, even premature death. However, new studies have shown that mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) can help quash the emotions that lead to loneliness.Full Story
Games may be helpful for children suffering from anxiety and depression, according to research published last year. In the study, Game-Based Biofeedback for Paediatric Anxiety and Depression, M. Knox and five other scientists reported that children responded favorably to video games utilizing biofeedback devices and techniques. During eight sessions, M. Knox and colleagues tested twenty-four [...]Full Story
Some home remedies require a cabinet full of materials or obscure ingredients you’d have to trek across town (or the globe) for. Luckily, you can just turn on your kitchen or bathroom sink and get a quick fix to boost mood, promote shiny hair, and even encourage weight loss!Full Story
We live in difficult times. Employees work harder than ever and have fewer opportunities. That’s what the market research firm, Harris Interactive, found after questioning over 1,500 American workers.
Harris published these findings in a survey that the firm conducted for the American Psychological Association.
According to the survey, thirty-six percent of American workers are stressed out.Full Story
Some people think of hobbies as a waste of time that provide little benefit to life; however, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Whenever I have a friend who is depressed or is just going through a tough time, I always ask what they do for fun. Most of the time they reply “nothing”, which in many cases is a cause of the depression. I immediately tell them to find a hobby; there is no better way to get out of a slump than to find something you enjoy doing.Full Story
Maybe you’ve noticed a change in one of your parents, an elderly friend, or even your spouse. Once-loved activities now elicit sighs of boredom or have become shunned altogether. He or she may seem always “on edge”, restless, or conversely, unusually fatigued. These symptoms could all be subtle signs of depression, a condition becoming more common in older adults, affecting an estimated 1 in 5 Americans 65 and up.Full Story
Acne is one of the most common skin problems. We have all had a pimple or two at some point. But, for some people, acne is more problematic.
When people have excessive pimples or blackheads, it’s known as acne. Acne occurs when sebaceous glands (glands in the skin) secrete an oil called sebum. This oil clogs your hair follicles, trapping dirt and dead skin and leading to acne.
Acne is not only experienced on the face. Other common areas include the neck, chest, back, and shoulders.Full Story
According to research posted in the Circulation Journal of the American Heart Association, the risk of a heart attack may increase during the time following the death of a loved one. The study looked at 1,985 heart attack survivors and found that heart attack risk was 21 times higher during the first day after the death of a loved one. The risk was 6 times higher in the first week, and risk significantly declined over the first month.Full Story
According to research printed in the Journal Pediatrics, children who have an unhealthy addiction to the internet are almost twice as likely to suffer from depression. That is an alarming number, and parents should be concerned. The study tracked 1,041 teens in China, where internet addiction is a serious problem. The teens were asked a series of questions in order to assess their risk of depression. Out of the teens studied, 94% were considered unhealthy internet users, and the other 6% were found to be moderately unhealthy internet users.Full Story
Anyone who’s ever owned a pet knows how difficult it can be after he or she passes away. For many, pets are part of the family, and losing one can be devastating, especially for children. Parents often shelter their children from the death of a pet; however, in most cases, this is not the best approach.Full Story