by A. Grano on August 20th, 2010 at 7:00 am
Usually at least once a season, that red, painful, itchy, summer rite of passage occurs – the dreaded sunburn. While next time you’ll remember to slather on the sunscreen (and either set the timer on your phone before taking a nap, or ask a friend to wake you!), natural remedies can help treat the uncomfortable situation at hand!
Try the following to help ease your burn and speed healing:
- Marigold (Calendula officinalis) is a well-known herb for skin health, and has been studied for its soothing properties.
- Lavender (Lavandula officinalis) provides aromatherapy benefits plus soothing effects.
- Tea tree oil (Melaleuca alternifolia) has many skin-supporting qualities, and is easily absorbed to bring relief.
- Gotu kola (Centella asiatica) contains compounds that help increase the concentration of anti-oxidants to support healing.
- Red Aloe (Aloe Ferox) contains a number of active compounds that promote skin health.
- Witchhazel (Hamamelis virginianum) has been studied for its ability to support the skin plus soothe itchiness and irritation, making it a great remedy for sunburn.
Also, vitamin C has been studied and shown to promote faster healing. Citrus fruits as well as strawberries and blueberries are full of vitamin C, so eat up!