by A. Grano on June 7th, 2010 at 7:00 am
We are probably all guilty of holding onto some makeup past its prime- maybe it’s because of wallet remorse after paying for a fancy designer brand or because it seems wasteful to toss a half-full tube of mascara. However, there’s another reason to routinely purge items in your makeup bag, besides replacing last season’s eye shadow – it’s important for your health!
How Makeup Can be Harmful
While most cosmetics do contain preservatives, they usually also do not have expiration dates. Eye makeup tends to be the most problematic since it has the shortest shelf life, with bacteria growth often leading to mild irritation, flaking, redness, swelling and even infection. Skin irritation, from rashes to acne, can also occur from using old facial products.
It’s also important to never share cosmetics with anyone, especially eye makeup. Use extreme caution at cosmetics counters- while the makeup may be new, the applicators may not be! Always ask for a new disposable or properly sanitized applicator.
Healthy Beauty Habits Tips
- When purchasing new makeup, note the date you begin using it to help keep track of age.
- Pay attention to changes in color, smell, and consistency of all products that you use. Discard anything that looks or smells funny, regardless of when purchased.
- Always practice good hygiene when applying makeup, which includes not only using clean hands but also frequently washing brushes, sponges, etc.
Keep in mind these suggestions compiled from various beauty experts and doctors across the web for when to toss and when to keep common beauty products:
- Mascara: 3 months
- Liquid foundation: 1 year
- Powder blush and bronzer: 2 years (cream versions: 12-18 months)
- Powder eye shadow: 2 years (cream versions: 12-18 months)
- Lip gloss and lipstick: 18-24 months
- Moisturizer: 3-12 months (less for ones containing botanical extracts or essential oils)
Natural Eye & Skin Health
With regards to eye health, whether treating an eye condition or preventing one, natural remedies can promote healthy vision and prolong eye health. Bilberry has a known ability to strengthen eye capillaries, prevent eye-related disease and infection, and restore the eyes to a problem-free state.
For naturally beautiful skin, herbs such as Cleavers and red clover act as cleansing tonics and help to purify and detoxify the body’s system for a fresh, glowing appearance.
ClearSkin Skin Wash™ gently cleanses and nourishes skin to promote soft, smooth texture.