by A. Grano on August 11th, 2011 at 7:00 am
Most people know that chocolate and grapes are dangerous for pets to eat, but over-the-counter and prescription human medications actually top the list of top toxins for pets, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Last year, pills that were dropped or left unattended on countertops and tables caused more illnesses in pets in United States than any other toxin, with ibuprofen, acetaminophen, antidepressants and ADHD medicine topping the list.
Symptoms to watch for
When an animal ingests human medication, the most common signs may include:
If you notice any of the above symptoms, call your vet or emergency animal clinic immediately.
The next time you take any medicine, be sure to properly close the container and store it securely in a top cupboard or locked shelf away from curious pets. Be sure to warn others in your household about the dangers of medications and pets and have them follow the same precautions.
In addition, take special safeguards whenever handling insecticides, rodenticides, people food (particularly chocolate), veterinary meds, household toxins (such as cleaning supplies, laundry detergent), plants, herbicides as well as outdoor toxins (such as antifreeze and fertilizers), all which are also included in the ASPCA’s list.
DetoxPlus™ Promotes system detoxification to eliminate harmful wastes and toxins