by NativeRemedies on October 4th, 2010 at 3:37 pm
Generally speaking, sore throats must run their course (unless the sore throat is caused by a bacterial infection such as in the case of strep throat).
The good news is that sore throat symptoms such as pain, itchiness and pain swallowing can be greatly helped with home remedies. Here are a few of the most effective home remedies for a sore throat:
Gargling with salt water is one of the most common home remedies for sore throat. Simply mix one teaspoon (preferably of sea salt) in ½ a cup of lukewarm water and gargle with this solution three or four times a day.
A humidifier can also be useful when it comes to helping a sore throat caused by excessive dryness in the environment, such as excessively dry climate, or dryness caused by heating systems.
A teaspoon of honey is another effective home remedy when it comes to soothing a sore throat.
Warm tea with ginger and lemon also helps- especially when a sore throat is caused by the common cold.
Seek medical care:
- If you have a sore throat and have recently come in contact with someone diagnosed with strep throat.
- If a sore throat is accompanied by fever, swollen glands (lymph nodes), or you spot white patches on the back of your throat.
- If a sore throat does not develop with other common cold symptoms such as a runny nose, watery eyes or sinus congestion.
- If a sore throat has a sudden onset and is accompanied by a fever.
- If you are having trouble swallowing liquids.
- If your sore throat doesn’t improve after a week.
ImmunityPlus™ provides complete and effective immune system support.