14 Foods to Never Feed Your Pet

by on August 9th, 2012 at 7:00 am

Almost everyone with a pet has been guilty one time or another of feeding their pet table scraps. When you’re eating dinner and your beloved pet gives you ‘the eyes’, it can be nearly impossible to resist, and who doesn’t like spoiling their pet?

Unfortunately, an occasional table scrap may be more harmful than you think. Giving in may instill bad behaviors, such as begging and whining – which I know from firsthand experience, can get very annoying. Feeding pets table scraps for years can also lead to obesity, diabetes and overall poor health. The odd piece of meat shouldn’t harm your dog, but there are many foods out there that can be very harmful if ingested by your pet.

Below are some foods you should never feed your pet:

  • Chocolate, Coffee & Anything with Caffeine – Chocolate is an obvious one; most people know it can be very harmful if eaten by an animal – but coffee and caffeinated foods? All these foods contain methylxanthines, which can cause vomiting, diarrhea, heavy breathing, muscle tremors, seizures and even death. So, it is highly advisable to avoid giving your pet any of these substances.
  • Apricot Pits – Contain small amounts of cyanide which can lead to respiratory issues
  • Hops – Can cause increased heart rate, elevated temperature, seizures, and death.
  • Avocado – This fruit contains persin, a chemical present in avocado leaves, bark and the fruit itself. In pets, it can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and breathing troubles. There have even been a few reported deaths after ingestion.
  • Grapes & Raisins – Grapes and raisins are known to cause kidney troubles in pets. Avoid these fruits, especially if your pet already has kidney problems.
  • Dairy Products – Pets cannot digest milk very well; it can cause stomach upset and other allergic reactions, often resulting in skin irritation.
  • Moldy Foods – Can cause Vomiting, Tremors and Seizures.
  • Xylitol – Xylitol is an artificial sweetener found in many forms of candy. If ingested it can cause low blood sugar and even liver damage.
  • Onions – Onions in any form can lower a dog’s red blood cells, leading to anemia.
  • Mushrooms – Mushrooms are hard to identify and many can be poisonous to pets. Symptoms of a toxic mushrooms can include, upset stomach, gastrointestinal irritation, hallucination and even death.  If your yard has mushrooms growing make sure to remove them promptly.
  • Salt – Too much salt can cause your pet to experience excessive thirst and urination, so keep those salty treats to yourself.
  • Yeast Dough – It is ok to feed your dog a little bread, as long as it’s baked. Raw dough can expand in your pet’s stomach, causing intense pain and discomfort.
  • Nuts – Almonds, black walnuts, english walnuts, hickory nuts, Japanese walnuts, macadamia nuts, pecans and pistachios, can cause upset stomach or an obstruction in your dog’s gastrointestinal tract.  Symptoms generally show around 12-48 hours after ingestion and can include vomiting, muscle spasms, increased heart rate and a rise in body temperature.

 

These are just some of the foods that can be harmful to your pet, so make sure to consult your vet before feeding your pet table scraps and contact your vet immediately if your animal consumes any of these foods.

Parasite Dr.Promotes digestive detoxification and functioning, plus cleanses the blood

Digestive SupportPromotes healthy digestion

2 Responses to “14 Foods to Never Feed Your Pet”

  1. Kathaleen

    Apr 3rd, 2012

    My Cat has flees and I can’t find a good product that works on her. She doe’s not go outside and I have treated her and bomed the house and she steel has them. I can’t find BREWERS Yeast in bulk. What can I do? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on her or me.

  2. anne kling furry

    Apr 4th, 2012

    I have been feeding my 2 scnauzers and my doberman raw meet for 4 years.
    The one schnauzer has cushings disease and this is the recomended diet for them and my doberman could not digest dog kibble and has been completely healed from the raw diet., for anyone interested it is what the animals ate in the wild and as long as people keep any raw meat in the fridge there is no problem.

Leave a Reply



SEO Powered by Platinum SEO from Techblissonline