Archive for 'Food & Nutrition'
A recent study found that whey protein, a substance found in milk, can change body weight and composition in beneficial ways. Six scientists from the Beltsville Human Nutrition Research Center conducted the twenty-three week study to see how this nutrient-rich protein would affect adults. Among the ninety obese and overweight participants, the people who consumed whey protein lost weight and had a decrease in fat mass.Full Story
Could living longer be as simple as eating less? While the conclusion is pretty straightforward, the findings from of a team of scientists at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden were quite complex, involving the effect of caloric intake on metabolic processes. The researchers found that consumption of fewer calories could be linked to slowing the onset of age-related diseases, as caloric restriction prevented a particular enzyme from being inactivated. This enzyme, peroxiredoxin, says study author Mikael Molin of the Department of Cell and Molecular Biology, “is extremely important in counteracting damage to our genetic material.”Full Story
It wasn’t until recently that I began to notice probiotics everywhere I go. What are probiotics? And what are their benefits? Probiotics have been around for a very long time. In fact, many ancient cultures knew of the healing powers probiotics could offer, they got them from fermented food and cultured milk. The use these foods for healing can be found throughout Hindu and Christian texts. It wasn’t until modern times that Americans began to discover its true benefits.Full Story
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the most accessible vitamins due to the fact it’s found in many common fruits and veggies. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin; our bodies don’t actually store it. Anything left over is passed through our urine. This means we need a constant supply in order to maintain healthy levels of vitamin C.Full Story
A cup of coffee in the morning is routine for many- just the smell of it can help wake you up. It’s what gets us through the day; most would have a difficult work day without coffee.
A new study conducted by Harvard University gives many women another reason to drink coffee. The study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine found that women who consumed 2-3 cups of coffee a day had a 15% lower risk of depression, and those who drank more had a 20% lower risk.Full Story
New research shows that certain dietary components can promote weight loss in women. In a Canadian study, overweight and obese women lost weight and gained muscle mass after combining exercise with a diet that was high in protein and dairy food.
The ninety women participants were assigned to three different groups, each of which consumed a different amount of protein and dairy.Full Story
Over the past 20 years, an alarming trend has emerged: Obesity is now considered an epidemic, and we must do something to curb it.
According to the CDC, 33.8% of U.S adults are obese and 17% of children are obese. The biggest factor is our diet, and as many of us know, changing your diet can be extremely difficult. However, eating healthy will make you feel better, more energetic and overall healthier. It’s about making the right choices.Full Story
Dieting can be a vicious cycle for many, even for determined dieters. Have you been trying to lose weight for years and failing? The reason could be as simple as unrealistic goals, says Dr. Hall from the National Institute of Diabetes and Kidney Diseases. The common rule for weight loss is to burn 3,500 calories and lose a pound. It turns out this rule is not correct, and could be the reason many are failing. Losing weight is more complicated than just burning calories. Dieters often set unrealistic goals and give up. Dr. Hall explains that weigh gain can continue for some, even if they have not changed their lifestyle, and some can lose weight.Full Story
Sticking to healthy eating habits is particularly tough around the holidays. From resisting the temptation to indulge in excessive sweets of the season to limiting calorie-laden holiday party noshing, making a pact with yourself to go easy on the indulging can help avoid any unhealthy New Year’s crash diets.Full Story
Calcium is one of the most important minerals in the body. It is common knowledge that calcium is essential for bone health; however, many don’t realize that it also helps with the functioning of the nervous and muscular systems, clotting of blood, and release of hormones. Calcium is the most abundant mineral in the human body, and 99% of it is found in your bones and teeth. The other 1% is stored in soft tissues and water, where is helps regulate the processes of the body such as the nervous system.Full Story