by A. Grano on March 21st, 2012 at 7:00 am
According to the CDC, flu season is officially under way, marked by three consecutive weeks in a row that at least 10% of patients tested positive for the flu at the doctor, with flu virus reports from all 50 states.
While the peak of flu season generally hits its highest mark in January and February, the CDC says that the late (and overall mild start) is likely due to a few factors, including milder weather throughout much of the U.S., an increased number of people who received flu shots, and higher than normal immunity levels to bugs this year, as many of the viruses are the same as last year.
However, in the 35 years the CDC has been tracking activity, they forewarn that the flu has historically surged four times in March and twice again in April.
A healthy immune system is your best defense against the flu. In addition, the following tips can help keep you well:
- Wash hands frequently, especially before eating or touching your face
- Eat a serving of yogurt daily, which is full of healthy probiotics
- Naturally flush your system by drinking eight glasses of water daily
- Increase your supplement intake with Vitamin C
- Drink warm water with lemon, a natural diuretic and natural detox method
- Reduce stress levels
- Limit alcohol consumption, as alcohol can be dehydrating, which makes the body more prone to infection
- Exercise and rest are crucial for a strong immune system, so try to maintain a consistent sleep and workout regimen (avoiding strenuous exercise several hours before bedtime)
BaniFlu™ Homeopathic remedy protects against flu virus and germs – safe for all ages
NR Essentials™ Vitamin C Enhanced Formula Boosts the immune system