by A. Grano on February 10th, 2011 at 7:00 am
Stressing less is usually easier said than done. However, stress is a leading contributor to the development of heart disease, so it is important to mitigate it!
Stress can also lead to many other physical problems, including ulcers, irritable bowel syndrome, memory loss, thyroid problems, skin conditions, fatigue, headaches, decreased libido, and many others.
A number of psychological problems can also be attributed to stress, such as depression, eating disorders, and anxiety.
Take a few minutes to stress less now… and feel better later!
1. Scan your schedule. When planning your week, make appointments for family time, exercise, and “you” time throughout your work and errands so that you’re more likely to commit to them. Having them in writing is also a visual reminder to maintain balance in your work and personal life.
2. Start small. Maybe you don’t have time to begin a yoga class, make nutritious meals from scratch, learn to meditate and organize a family reunion all in one week. Attaining balance in your life can and should be a gradual process, not a stressful one in which you feel pressured to become a relaxation guru overnight.
3. Evaluate your energy sources. Often, we feel overly stressed because of our environmental influences. What’s draining your energy? Take a look at your top sources of stress and try and minimize the ones that aren’t helping your well-being. Poor eating and sleeping habits, negative friends, and even an excessive commute can take a toll on your energy levels. While you can’t change everything, getting to bed half an hour earlier or taking a different route to work may make a big difference.
Even on a jam-packed day, there are usually a few hidden moments you can use to help clear your mind and revitalize your body:
- Stuck in traffic? Listen to your favorite song and take a few deep breaths.
- Don’t have 30-60 minutes to take for lunch? Do take 5-10 minutes to step outside. Breathing some fresh air and changing your surroundings can give you energy to power through the rest of your day.
- Inclement weather? Chat with an uplifting co-worker to give your brain a break.
PureCalm™ works quickly to facilitate a calmed mood and soothed nerves